Introduction to the Dairy
Welcome to Introduction to Dairy, the first course in the Dairy Leaders of Tomorrow curriculum. This lesson provides a broad overview of the dairy industry. By the end of this course, students will be able to describe the economic impact of the dairy industry, know historic events that have impacted the industry, identify different types of housing facilities as well as have a basic understanding of marketing dairy products.
Introduction to Dairy: Course Objectives
Things to Note About This Course:
- This is a NON-Certification Course
- There is no certification examination required at the end of this course, though there is a Prerequisite Examination based on this course that must be completed before future certification exams
- Instructors are responsible for grading all course material, but can utilize the Instructor Keys located in the Instructor Portal
- No lesson grades must be submitted to the Center for Dairy Excellence
How to Complete this Course:
For Students –
- First, discuss with your instructor how they would prefer you complete this course. Would they rather you complete all lessons and then submit them as one for grading? Or, would they rather have you hand in each lesson after completion?
- Once that is discussed, begin with lesson 1 and print out or open the “Student Lesson” file located on each lesson page, in addition to any reading passages and/or presentations that are needed.
- Now, complete the “Activating Strategy”. This activity is to help you begin thinking about the topic that is going to be discussed throughout the lesson.
- After the Activating Strategy is completed, return to the “Student Lesson” for completion. First, read the “Purpose” located at the top of the lesson. Then, begin Part 1 of the lesson and move through each part as directed by the instructions.
- At the end of the lesson, complete the “Conclusion Questions” using the knowledge that was gained throughout the section.
- When the lesson is completed, hit “Complete Lesson” at the bottom of the Lesson Page or as directed by your instructor.
- Repeat Step 4 for all the lessons until this course is complete.
- When all lessons are complete and submitted, complete the Prerequisite Examination for this course, this is required before moving onto the following courses.
For Instructors –
Instruction for Independent Use (One-on-One with Students) –
- First, discuss with your student(s) how you would prefer them to submit their assignments for grading. The easiest options are by having students complete all parts of a single lesson and then submit it for grading or complete all lessons within a course and then submit it for grading.
- Then, have students begin at Lesson 1.1 What is the Dairy Industry and print out or open the “Student Lesson” file located on each lesson page, in addition to any reading passages and/or presentations that are needed.
- Now, instruct them to begin the lesson by completing the “Activating Strategy“. This activity is to help encourage them to begin thinking about the topic that is going to be discussed throughout the lesson.
- After the Activating Strategy is completed, have them open the “Student Lesson” to begin the course. Instruct them to first read the “Purpose” located at the top of the lesson then begin Part 1 and move through all parts as directed by the instructions.
- At the end of the lesson, have students complete the “Conclusion Questions” using the knowledge they gained.
- When the lesson, or course, is completed, have students submit their work to you to grade.
- At the end of each lesson students must click “COMPLETE LESSON“, however, it is at your discretion as to when they do so. They can either do this when they submit their work to you for grading, or only after they receive their graded assignments.
- After the completion of this course, have students complete the Prerequisite Examination, this is required before moving onto the following courses.
Utilization in Entire Classroom Settings –
- The Dairy Leaders of Tomorrow Program can be utilized with entire classrooms through using the instructions found in the “Educator Portal“.
- Beginning with Lesson 1, print out the Instructor Key. Thoroughly read through the lesson as it will direct you on which materials to print and how many copies will be needed.
- Then, click on Lesson 1.1 What is the Dairy Industry – opening the lesson page. Print out the materials that are needed for the competition of this lesson for your class.
- Then, use the “Activating Strategy” to begin the lesson, which encourages students to begin thinking about the topic of the lesson. After, using the Instructors Key, facilitate the lesson in it’s entirety.
- Please note that grading of each section as well what information you would like students to submit is entirely at your discretion.
- After the completion of Lesson 1.1, repeat Steps 2-4 to complete all the lessons within this course.
- After the entire course is completed, print out the Prerequisite Examination and have students complete the test. While this examination is required before completing the certification examinations in the next courses, a grade does not need to be submitted to the Center for Dairy Excellence.