Hands-on Experimental Learning Experiences
Beginning in 2017, Dairy Leaders of Tomorrow Exploration Experiences offers students the opportunity to utilize formal education skills in hands-on experimental learning experiences. These “Experiences” will give high school students the opportunity to see firsthand the techniques and skills that were learned in the classroom being applied in a real-world setting, allow them to engage in STEM learning through agricultural-focused areas all while exploring potential career opportunities and cultivating a network of industry professionals. Click here to apply for this year’s exploration experience.
Questions about the Dairy Leaders of Tomorrow Exploration Experience can be directed to Michelle Shearer by phone at 570-768-8316 or via email at email@example.com.
2021 “Own It” Exploration Experience with Premier Select Sires
The mission for the DLT Exploration Experience is to provide students and youth interested in dairy the opportunity to utilize formal education skills in hands-on experimental learning experiences. This year’s DLT Exploration Experience is designed to cultivate interest in a variety of careers available in the dairy industry.
Partnering with Premier Select Sires, students learn about the four divisions of do-ers, analyze-ers, techies and sell-ers in the morning. Then in the afternoon, students will work together in these divisions to use the “Own It” philosophy to own the problem(s) and own the solution(s) in their field of expertise analyzing the herd information. Divisions will present their success plans to the herd manager and/or owner of the dairy farm.
DLT “Own It” Exploration Experience
When: October 14, 2021, from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Location: Brubaker Farms, 493 Musser Road, Mount Joy, PA 17552
Cost: FREE (participants will provide their own transportation)
At the conclusion of the day, participants will be able to:
- Chose one career presented and explain the roles and responsibilities involved in the career.
- Analyze herd information presented in reports from various software programs.
- Create solutions to struggles faced on the dairy farm and present them to the herd manager and/or owner of the dairy farm.
What to Expect:
- Morning sessions exploring careers in the four divisions of Premier Select Sires
- Lunch and snacks provided
- Afternoon session working with other students in one of the four divisions
- Afternoon presentation to herd manager and/or owner with plan of success
- Students must be in grades 11 or 12.
- Students should have successfully completed Algebra I, Biology and Chemistry.
- Students should have an interest in dairy.
- Participants must wear a mask, coveralls and boots at all times.
- Students/groups must have a chaperone/advisor travel with them.
- Only 32 students will be accepted to participate.
- Applications must be submitted by Monday, October 4, 2021 at 11:59 PM.