Welcome to Introduction to Dairy Herd Management, the second course in the Dairy Leaders of Tomorrow curriculum. This lesson provides a broad overview of how to manage a dairy herd. By the end of this course, students will be able to identify important feed types for a cow’s diet, how to interpret DHIA records and recognize diseases by symptoms and how to treat them.
Introduction to Dairy: Course Objectives
Things to Note About This Course:
- This is a Certification Course
- To become certified within Dairy Herd Management, the Introduction to Dairy Herd Management Examination must be completed with an 80% or higher
- Instructors are responsible for grading all course material but can utilize the Instructor Keys located on the Google Drive provided by email after registration
- No lesson grades must be submitted to the Center for Dairy Excellence
How to Complete this Course:
- Discuss with instructor how they would like you to complete this course.
- Begin with “Lesson 2.1: What to Manage on a Dairy Farm” under “Course Content.” You can either print off the Student Lesson worksheets or fill them out electronically by selecting the “fillable” option.
- Complete any reading passages and/or presentations that are needed.
- Complete the “Activating Strategy”. This activity is to help you begin thinking about the topic that is going to be discussed throughout the lesson.
- After the Activating Strategy is completed, return to the “Student Lesson” to complete the worksheet.
- At the end of the lesson, complete the Lesson 2.1: What to Manage on a Dairy Farm Quiz
- When the lesson is completed and you have passed the quiz, you will be able to move on to the next lesson.
- Repeat steps to complete lessons 2.2-2.8.
- When all lessons are completed and submitted, you may take the Certification Exam. If an 80% or better is obtained, certification will be achieved.
- Please save or print your certification for your records.
If you have any questions while completing this lesson, please feel free to contact Brittany Haag at the Center for Dairy Excellence Foundation at email@example.com or by phone 717-246-0849.